When a lot of people think of the best cities to get a great pizza, they immediately think of places like New York or Chicago. But a new study from Anytimeestimate.com shows that Tampa is one of the top 15 cities in the country with the best pizza options.
Pizza connoisseurs from all over the country are moving to the Bay area but still claim their hometown is the best pizza city. But according to this study, Tampa has outnumbered iconic pizza hot spots like Chicago, New York and New Jersey. How does one rank the best pizza city? The website tells us they used a number of criteria to analyze the cities with the best pizza options.
The metrics used are as follows:
- Google Trends pizza varieties
- Google Trends pizza practical terms
- Total pizza restaurants per 100,000 citizens
- Chain pizza restaurants per 100,000 citizens
- Independent pizza restaurants per 100,000 citizens
- Pizza restaurants per square mile
- Price of “cheese pizza”
- Price of “pepperoni pizza”
- Weekly cheese pizza per year for the average resident as a percent of total income
- Weekly pepperoni pizza per year for the average resident as a percent of total income
Cities with a large number of independent pizza restaurants get extra points, and cities dominated by large pizza chains suffered a small penalty.
Check out the list below to see where Champa Bay ranks for best pizza city!