Nobody’s perfect. Some people say Expresso. And, other basic phrases many get all wrong. It’s Espresso BTW. And if you say you could “care less”, you’re wrong too. It’s actually you “couldn’t care less”.
The folks at BoredPanda.com created a list of 30 common phrases that we get all wrong, almost all of the time. Yes, “butt naked” sounds like it makes perfect sense. But, (pun intended) it’s actually “buck naked” if anybody asks.
Here are a few more…
1. It’s pronounced ES-presso, not EX-presso. You’ve probably heard that one before, but people still get it wrong. There are three “S’s” in the word, but not a single “X”.
2. A lot of people say “for all INTENSIVE purposes.” But it’s really “for all INTENTS and purposes.”
3. Saying your life took “a total three-sixty ” is wrong. You probably mean a “one-eighty.” If you turned 360 degrees, you’d be back where you started.
4. In the phrase “getting off scot free,” the word “scot” only has one “T”. It’s an Old English word for “tax.” If you use two “T’s”, it’s like saying you didn’t have to hang out with anyone named Scott.
5. A lot of people say “BUTT naked,” which is okay. But “BUCK naked” was the original term. No one’s sure where it came from though.
6. As long as we’re on butts, the phrase “nip it in the butt” is wrong. It’s “nip it in the BUD.” As in a weed you should cut before it grows anymore.
Check out all 30 phrases at BoredPanda.com HERE