This afternoon the Tampa Water Department issued a water boil notice for Tampa residents after a water main break off I-75.
The water main break happened near their David L. Tippin Water Treatment Facility in New Tampa. Now, we have to be really cautious and disinfect tap water by boiling it to kill any type of bacteria or viruses that might have snuck in.
Here is how you can keep your family safe:
- Bring the water to a rolling boil and holding it there for one minute.
- Aerate the boiled water by pouring it from one container to another several times to improve the “flat” taste left by boiling, then refrigerate for best results.
- Use bleach if you cannot boil your water.
- Add eight drops (about 1/8th teaspoon) of bleach for one gallon of tap water, shake, then let stand for 30 minutes before drinking.
- Use food grade containers and unscented common household bleach that has 5% to 6% active ingredients.
- If the water is cloudy, use16 drops, about teaspoon of bleach instead of 8. There should be a slight chlorine odor.
- Use water purification tables or iodine that many sports and camping stores sell.
Not only do you have to be careful at home, you gotta stay safe on your way home too.
[Source: ABC ACTION NEWS]