During a press conference on Friday, May 15th, Governor Ron DeSantis announced that gyms and fitness centers can reopen starting Monday, May 18. The governor calls this a move into a full Phase One.
Gyms and fitness centers can reopen with the following guidelines:
- Operate at no more than 50% of building capacity
- Adhere to strict social distancing and sanitation protocols, including cleaning and disinfecting all surfaces
- Separate patrons by at least 6 feet
- Encourage appointment only or scheduled use of equipment
- Prohibit indoor group sessions or classes
As part of his announcement, starting Monday, May 18th restaurants, retail, museums and libraries will also be allowed to go to up to 50% capacity.
Professional sports venues in Florida can open for training in the facilities.
Amusement parks can submit reopening plans to the state for review.
Indoor movie theaters will remain closed in Florida.
Coronavirus Update: What’s Open, What’s Closed In Tampa Bay
Some Florida businesses are reopening as the number of COVID-19 cases begin to go down. Many have limited hours and capacity so it’s a good idea to call ahead.